When I was looking for examples of window treatment's today, I found this great blog! I have had so much fun today reading through it and browsing through her pictures. Her work is amazing. It reminded me of how much I miss interior design and how that was/is??? who I am.
I am always so conflicted because I never had a big taste for interiors and working for clients. I think my main reasons of why I don't love doing the typical interior designer thing is because 1- sometimes it's really hard to make things look fabulous. 2- I worry about finding things the client likes and creating a space they want and will be happy with. 3- It can be stressful to find the right things. 4- I get overwhelmed by the tiny details... accessorizing is sometimes really hard for me.
My solution: work in a specialized field! I worked at a lighting showroom and LOVED it. I loved consulting with people on lighting choices. I loved finding that one thing they were looking for and showing them new ideas that they hadn't thought of. I truly enjoyed my job. If I could make enough doing that or could even do it part time, I would. The other day I actually contemplated having the rest of my kids close together so I can be done with the mom thing and get back into the design consultation/lighting field.
From lighting, I would love to work with a contractor doing design consultation with clients. I can handle paint colors, flooring, lighting etc. Pretty much the raw design materials that go into a home. My plan is to start of working in a design center for a large building company (think Ivory homes, or Lennar etc. if you're in Texas). From there I think I would find a contractor that wants to include design consult in their business. Eventually, I want to be my own new construction/remodel design consultation service. This is always what my thoughts come down to. It's about convenience... I bring samples to the client based on what they have shared with me, thus cutting down their searching, which saves them time. I'm hoping to get there one day and hoping that there is indeed a market for it!
So there are my thoughts on my hidden career self. I think of that person as my real self and get a lot of satisfaction in being that person. Not that I don't enjoy being a mom... just that is a completely different thing. Does anyone know how I can balance and do both at the same time? I wish I could, but just can't see it happening. Thus, I wait.
Friday, February 29, 2008
Ahh... interior design...
Posted by Carrie at 3:41 PM

1 Comment:
Don't give up on your dreams, just remember there is a time and season for everything!
Post a Comment