One of my all time favorite foods is chicken cordon bleu. I grew up with just buying the little frozen guys and then making sauce to go on top. Really easy. But I hated waiting for sales on those little buggers and then figuring out how many I could fit in my freezer to stock up on. So they have grown to a rarity at our house.
In MILs house, MIL actually pounds out the chicken and then tops with ham and swiss and maybe bread crumbs? Either way, she is a much better woman than I because I don't think I have it in me to have that extra pounding step.
Today I made a great discovery. Well I actually discovered it a couple weeks ago and actually made it tonight.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole.
SOOO GOOD!
And so easy.
Needless to say, I'm a fan.
Here's the recipe folks so you all can make it! (oh and for those with babies Alex's age, Alex DEVOURED his. He loves saucy casseroles and this one has cheese and sauce. Bonus!)
4 chicken breasts
4 slices of swiss cheese (I used the individual packaged slices for a milkier, saucier effect. I also used 6 because it worked better in the pan)
4 slices of ham (I used packaged deli ham. I should have cut it up into smaller pieces. I also did 2 pieces of ham on top of every slice of swiss since it was thin slices. It would also be good to do just small cubes of ham everywhere. I'm guessing you'd need a cup or 2)
1/2 c. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
Seasoned bread crumbs (I used italian)
Brown the chicken breasts for about 4 minutes on each side in a hot skillet. Cut up the breasts into bite sized pieces and spread out in a 9x13 greased pan. Lay slices of cheese over the chicken, then the ham on top of the cheese. Mix the sour cream and the cream of chicken soup together and spread over ham. Top with bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
So there you have it. You should all make it some time this week!
Monday, February 18, 2008
Mmm... chicken cordon bleu
Posted by Carrie at 7:25 PM

4 Comments:
Was the casserole really good? Nate can make chicken cordon bleu from scratch like your MIL. We usually buy the pre-made stuff just cause its less labor intensive.
Mmmm That is definitely going on our menu for the week. Thanks!
it was REALLY good jenni. I usually buy the little frozen guys too because it's so easy, but this was super easy! (my trick for cutting the chicken... kitchen shears. SO fast!)I thought that it tasted just as good as the homemade and pre-made stuff.
Ooh, I'm totally making this this week! I love chicken cordon bleu but HATE how hard it is to make, so you are now my hero.
Post a Comment