Ya you heard me right. I cried. I'm not talking uncontrollable sobbing, just tears rolling down my face and not being able to talk very well. ;)
First of all, Alex was being a bum last night and both Jon and I missed out on several hours of sleep. And my appointment was at 8 this morning. So I was pretty tired.
Upon arriving, I realized that I forgot the middle 2 numbers of Jon's social. I tried to call him at least 15 times and got no answer. Apparently he was enjoying his sleep.
They let me go back without it and say to keep trying him, which I do with the same result.
So the cleaning starts and I mention that I have sensitive gums. They don't bleed when I am brushing (I even brush with vigor along my gums... or so I thought), but they do bleed when flossing. So the hygienist gets to work. She starts out with one of those sharp metal curvy hook tools. I think she was measuring my gums because she would poke (SO painful! It felt like a needle being poked into my gums!) and then type things (numbers?) into the computer.
The painful pokes (combined with the bright light in my eyes) set me off and I was tearing up. Good thing you don't have to talk when your mouth is open and someone is inflicting pain.
But then the secretary came in and asked if I had gotten a hold of Jon yet. So I try again several times and still no answer. As you can imagine, in the state that I was in, the frustration of Jon not answering didn't help. When she came back to ask me if I'd gotten it, I had a hard time talking to her.
Then the hygienist starts to work again. She used some kind of grinder thing? I don't know what it was, but it was not nice. She then used something to clean between my teeth that took effort to get in and out. That was really not nice. The poking still takes the cake on the being the most painful.
While doing everything, she's commenting about how much I'm bleeding and how bad of shape my gums are in and that I need to be brushing a lot better along my gum line, etc. Uhh... NOT helping.
The best thing she said was we'll get you a prescription for mouthwash that you'll use before you brush which will help heal your gums so they don't bleed and then you'll come back in 3 weeks to make sure your gums are better.
But then she had to launch into the negatives again... the mouthwash can stain your teeth if you don't brush really well and on and on.
So tears again.
Then the secretary comes back again for the social. Ugh.
I try Jon again and he answers! Yay! Whole new wave of emotions though with him FINALLY answering. So I'm talking to him and trying not to cry ... that was fun.
Finally the dentist comes in and she was SO nice. She felt bad about me crying. She couldn't believe it! LOL! I brushed it off as just being over emotional (on top of the pain). She also explained that the gingivitis could be coming from leftover pregnancy gingivitis (or maybe she was just saying that to make me feel better...). Anyway, I felt much better talking to her and she said it's not a problem and it will get better. But I now have to use prescription mouthwash and brush 3 times a day!
But the good news is that my teeth were excellent. No cavities and no plaque. So yay for that! And go me for having no cavities even without seeing a dentist for 3 years!
I'm hoping the poking will be much less painful when I go back next month.
Anyway, it's now quarter to 5 and my teeth are still pretty sore, which has never happened to me before. It hurt to chew stuff! I'm going to go and take some Tylenol so that hopefully I can enjoy dinner!
Speaking of which, we are having cream cheese enchiladas tonight, which is one of my favorite things to make. I also love that it's enough to make 2-4 meals for us (it makes 10 enchiladas).
Here's the recipe for it (not found in any cookbook... it's a modified recipe)
2-3 cups cubed chicken, cooked
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 small can green chilies
1 small onion, grated (or chopped into small pieces is fine)
2-3 cups grated cheese
10-13 flour tortillas (the orig. rec. calls for 10, but I added in cream cheese and ench. sauce and a bit more chicken, so it goes a bit further. Or you could have 10 really full enchiladas!)
4-8 oz. cream cheese, softened (I usually go for the whole 8 oz)
1 can of enchilada sauce (the larger can... I think 16 oz.)
mix chicken with the soup, sour cream, green chilies, onion, 1 to 1 1/2 c. cheese, the softened cream cheese, and not quite half of the can of enchilada sauce together.
Spoon the mixture into the center of tortillas and roll up. Place filled tortillas in 9x13 pan (I usually put about 6 in the 9x13 and then 4 in an 8x8).
Mix the other can of soup with the rest of the enchilada sauce and pour over the enchiladas. Top with the rest of the cheese.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Friday, March 7, 2008
I cried at my dentist's appointment
Posted by Carrie at 3:05 PM

2 Comments:
I'm sorry Carrie! Thats exactly why I HATE going to the dentist! I have like a million cavities though.
OUCH!! I have an appointment this week, and now I want to cancel it!!
Post a Comment