Saturday, August 23, 2008

Must add beets!

This week I tried out Jessica Seinfield's chocolate beet cake from her Deceptively Delicious cookbook (thanks again Mom!). It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great. Granted, I didn't make the cream cheese frosting for it, but my chocolate frosting was REALLY good. So good that I was eating spoonfuls of it.

Since I wasn't fully satisfied with my first cake, I bought a Duncan Hines Triple Chocolate cake mix and added about 3/4 cup of beets to it (I probably could have done a full cup) and it was so delicious and moist. And you couldn't taste the beets at all! It made me feel a little bit better about eating large slices of cake.

And now the details of the rest of the cake, because the other things I did made it even better. As Jon just told me, "it was almost an emotional experience it was that good."

I added some semi sweet chocolate chips to the leftover chocolate frosting I had (which made the REALLY good frosting even better!) and put that between my two 9" rounds. I frosted the whole thing with cream cheese frosting (from a can) and sprinkled more chocolate chips on top.

It was really good. I don't usually like chocolate cake, but this cake won me over. The cream cheese frosting really balanced out the chocolate. It was splendid with a nice big glass of milk. Nothing inspires me to drink a full glass or 2 of milk more than a rich yummy treat.

So there you have it, add beets to your cake mixes and enjoy extra moistness and a little extra healthiness that you wouldn't have otherwise had.

2 Comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

Ummmmm so where's the frosting recipe?

And this is good, because our landlord brought us a ginormous bag of beets and potatoes today. I love beets, but R hates them, so I was trying to figure out what to do with them. Problem solved!

Carrie said...

frosting was just add as you go. I think I used a full stick of butter, about 1/4 of a cup of milk, 1 tsp of vanilla, and added powdered sugar until it was nice and thick. The cocoa powder was added liberally to taste. This was enough to frost an entire cake though and still have some left over.
So going with 1/4 of that amount would be good for just doing the middle- add about 1/4 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips and melt them all together in the microwave.