Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Loaves and Fishes

I have successfully turned 1 gallon of milk into 3 quite tasty gallons of milk. And I have to say that I am quite impressed with myself.

Last week I mixed a little less than a third of a gallon of 1% milk with about a 1/2 gallon of dry powdered milk from my food storage. It was okay, but not wonderful. So I started thinking about how to possibly make it better.
My sister in law, Melanie suggested mixing 1/2 and half, but when I thought about it that would only save me about 50 cents per gallon in the long run. So I thought about it and was going to do 2% mixed in half or thirds since 50 cents per gallon is at least some savings.

When I got to the store, I discovered that whole milk is the same price as 1 and 2% milk, so I made the decision to get a gallon of that and divide it into thirds. I just had a glass with my granola bar and it tastes fabulous despite it being two-thirds powdered milk. And since I already had powdered milk, I essentially got 3 gallons of milk for $3.88. Not too bad.

I may have to freeze one of those gallons so that it doesn't go bad, but that's okay. Eventually I'd like to make 4 gallons out of 1 gallon of whole milk so that my cost is reduced even more. I would do just straight powder, but I like a little bit of fat in my milk, so doing the whole milk mix is an excellent alternative.


So I'm popping back in to say that Jon does NOT like this milk. He said it tastes like watered down milk. I'm sure he'll be fine with it in his cereal though. That's really where most of our milk goes. However, I drank a huge glass of it and didn't think it tasted that bad. Maybe not quite 1%, but defintely not as watered down as Jon was stating it was. Bottom line, we'll probably stick with it and Jon can either get used to it or not drink glasses of milk. :)

1 Comment:

Liz said...

Awesome! I'm impressed--and with milk being at least $3.50 regularly a gallon around here, you might convert me to trying it too... I don't have any powdered milk yet, though. I guess I should work on my supply.