In honor of Jon being sick today and Alex throwing up early this morning and having diahrrea (but otherwise acting like his normal self. I told you... weird.), I am going to give you get a brief peek into my life when I was in high school.
I had a group of 5 close girl friends and we did some funny things in our day.
To this day, I have fond memories of something we started doing for each other called a sick sack.
It started with Jen being sick and, being the good friends we are, we wanted to take her some things to help her feel better.
As things always are in high school, the budget was tight. We went to our usual variety store- The Dollar Store. We were able to get Jen a princess coloring book (of course, in truly mature high school girl fashion, we all had our separate disney princess personas) and wrote captions on all of the Snow White pages, since that was Jen. She got a nice box of crayons to go along with her new coloring book. "Heaven" (Minute Maid Grape soda. I miss that stuff!) was an obvious choice as it was the staple at all of our get togethers, a can of soup to cook at her own free will and I remember a baby bib or baby eating set??? I don't remember exactly the reasoning on that one, but I KNOW there was some kind of inside joke behind it.
I think there may have been a couple of other things in the sack- perhaps Jen can add something in the comments.
We threw it all in a brown paper grocery sack, quickly colored on it, and took it over to her. It was really fun to see her laugh at the weird little things she got and to bring some joy to her sick day.
The sick sack tradtition carried on and I have recieved and written "post cards" on the sick sacks from airplanes.
And when I miracuously got sick (after Jen had been sick like 5 times. She was ALWAYS getting sick and I have some kind of super immunity apparently) and got my sick sack I was thrilled.
And amazingly enough I still have a Little Mermaid book (not of the disney sort) with things crossed out and changed and pictures commented on (like "put some clothes on" and singing changed to "babbling"). I read this book to Alex at least once a week. Of course, I read him The Little Mermaid instead of my name that is written in and The Prince instead of the name "Shall" that is written in (ahh... remember code names?!), but I still read 16 instead of 15 for the age her father allows her to see humans and I still think about how the maiden in the book that The Prince was going to marry looks like "Shall's" girlfriend at the time. And Alex loves the book. It's probably because it rhymes and has fishies (named Kim, Jen, and Em) in it, but I love remembering that time in my life and how fun it was.
Jon didn't get a sick sack today, but he did get to watch Alex for a few hours while I was out and about. Sorry honey! I'm a horrible person, I know. In my defense though, I did bring him food and juice and medicine and stayed awake entertaining Alex at 7 am. I feel really bad that Alex didn't take the full 3 hour nap that I was planning on him taking and that Jon had to deal with him for 4 hours instead of just 2. He got to play World of Warcraft in bed though, so maybe it was an okay deal for him.
I have made Jon a sick sack before though when we were dating and he loved it.
So next time someone you know or one of your kids is sick, make them a sick sack. Stick random stuff into a brown grocery sack and when they pull it out, explain some random reason of why you got that for them. It will make any sick person's day.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Sickness! Can we get a sick sack?
Posted by Carrie at 10:46 PM

1 Comment:
What a cute idea! While I didn't actually know you in HS, Carrie, that totally reminds me of something my friends and I would do. Gotta love the code names for crushes (what HS girls don't do that, really?).
Post a Comment