Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Update on the turtle (aka Snappy)

This morning, the turtle was still out in our yard! Hooray! He didn't escape! He wasn't as shy around me when I went out there and still had his head out, so I could see the red marks on his head. So that made it really easy to figure out that he is a Red Eared Slider. He looks like this:



This morning I found him enjoying the left over water sitting in Alex's wading pool. It wasn't a surprise that he is an aquatic turtle. From "The Animal Planet": "It spends most of its time in or around water. Although it can be found in lakes and rivers, the Red-eared Slider prefers marshes, ponds, and slow-moving water that supply food and basking areas. In northern areas it will hibernate."

I guess we were destined!

When Alex goes down for his nap I'm going to set up a little pool for the turtle. As much as I like him in Alex's pool, I don't especially want his lovely claws to poke a hole in it. I'm sure Alex's world would come to an end if he no longer had a pool. Especially since he has taken to crying and screaming/throwing tantrums when we have to go inside. Or even try to take off his swimming suit/shirt/shoes. It's lovely.

1 Comment:

whitney said...

How exciting! We have turtles all over the place here, but we have yet to have one take up residence in our yard. I bet Alex thinks it's the coolest!