Ahh... the age old question as we pick up each item in the grocery store and decide if we should get the cheaper generic version or splurge for the brand name.
I am largely a generic person and will try out any generic thing and weigh the benefits before deciding to switch to the brand name.
And now for the examples.
I bought 2 packages of generic Oreos so that we could make some cookies and cream ice cream. I figured that I like eating Oreos, so that second package was for me to dunk in my milk and see how they compared with Oreos. Conclusion: not as good as Oreos, especially for dunking, although they were probably fine in the ice cream. Seeing as we don't buy Oreos on a regular basis, this is something that I would be willing to spend the extra dollar on when we do buy Oreos.
Peanut butter. I always thought they were all equal. Until I married Jon. When I bought generic peanut butter, Jon was appalled. So I buy him the Jif he likes and I stick with the generic for myself and Alex. To me, the dollar more isn't worth it, but to Jon there is no other way.
Macaroni and cheese. I grew up on Western Family. I still remember the white boxes with plain black print. I didn't know of any different until I was babysitting and they had some Kraft. And I really wasn't that much of a fan of it. But then I had more of it (I think my mom picked up some REALLY cheap boxes in mass amounts at NPS) and grew a taste for it's superiorness. Now we are a Kraft mac n cheese household, which I'm sure is quite the shocker for my mom. I think they still do the Western Family stuff at my parent's house. And really, maybe Western Family is nearly as tasty as Kraft and the stuff that I can get here in Texas is just different. Who knows?
Wheat Thins. Okay, really most crackers. Wheat Thins beat the generic hands down. Same thing with Ritz. Those are really the only crackers I buy. I do get generic graham crackers and "Teddy Grahams" (aka H-E-Buddies!) along with soda crackers, but anything else just never seems to quite step up to the name brand cracker quality and taste.
What other brand names do you have to have? What are you willing to splurge on?
Monday, July 21, 2008
Brandname vs. Generic
Posted by Carrie at 10:44 PM

9 Comments:
For us its Heinz ketchup. Ryan won't touch anything else.
Ben is also a Heinz ketchup fan. He has to have Mug rootbeer. Lately we've been avoiding processed/packaged foods but I guess for things like yogurt etc we're more concerned with the ingredient list than the label.
Yoplait yogurt is mine...other yogurts don't eve look good.
In fact, I need to get over my brandname issues. I don't why generic makes me so nervous...
Cranberry sauce and bread. There is no other way.
Yeah, Yoplait yogurt is mine as well. I can't really stand to eat any other brand, at least that I've tried. If I'm using them in smoothies, it's fine, but if it's just to eat yogurt it has to be yoplait!
i'm with jon here... generic peanut butter is nasty. jif is the best. besides that, hm... tillamook cheese. we're hooked!
Jon comes from a long line of peanut butter lovers. A peanut butter sandwich after dinner is "dessert." Sally wishes we would buy name brand everything. The only thing I am fussy about is Bisquick for pancakes. I detest Krusteauz or any of the other "complete" mixes....reminds me of camping! By the way, we are off to go camping this weekend, but we aren't having pancakes!
With the kids' allergy issues, we've had to switch nearly everything to name brand. There's a huge difference (that I've noticed) in fish sticks and chicken nuggests, cereal, and salad dressings...they're just so much better.
Tawna I think it's funny that you detest Krusteaz because that's what I love. It's also what I grew up on. I don't really like the thick taste of bisquick.
I just got a recipe for a wheat pancake mix from my aunt that you make in a large amount and then add something (water? milk? eggs? not sure...) to it, so I'm excited to try that out.
Post a Comment