Sunday, March 15, 2009

When it all comes down to it, do you actually return food you find yucky?

So there was this one time where I bought a $6 bag of chicken breasts... 2 of them actually.
I cooked a few up and they were NASTY. Thinking it was just a chance thing, I cooked some more another night. My sister was here, so we used the rest from the 1st bag and started in on the 2nd. More grossness.
That is the first time I ever toted a half empty bag of anything back to the customer service desk at a grocery store and asked for a refund. They thought it was a little weird... but it was honestly sick tasting chicken and $12 is a lot in the way of food!

Funny thing is, once the 1st bag was gone, I was willing to let that $6 go. But the 2nd bag and that it was $12 pushed me over the edge. There was no way I was going to suffer through eating another bag of gross chicken.


I've also experienced an old bag of Nestle Caramel Treasures. I had every intention to call up their customer service and tell them about it. But I never did and the bag got thrown away (I still ate all of the Treasures... they just weren't as good as they should have been).


Last week at Target I picked up some of their Archer Farms Organic fruit strips (in apricot of course).
The first bite was good. And then things went all bitter tasting. And there is a weird bit of oil mixed in there too. Add to the fact that it's more jelly than fruit leather like I was expecting and when I looked at the box, the top ingredient is actually apple juice. Which made perfect sense because they didn't really taste as apricoty as I had expected.
So now I have to decide- do I take the time to return the $3 box of fruit strips that I hate back to the store for a refund? Is it really worth the effort of remembering to take the strips out of my pantry, put them in my car, remember to bring them in to the store (and if it weren't Target, hunt down my receipt), and then take the extra time at customer service to return them?

$3 is a whole bag of caramel Treasures after all...

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

um... we are complainers :)
we recently had a jar of jif crunchy peanut butter that was not crunchy. so we called their customer service number, and a couple weeks later got a letter from them with a voucher for free peanut butter :)
i think, if you don't get what you pay for, you have every right to complain about it.

Anonymous said...

I don't know who you are, but if you have the package, take the information from it send it to the company along with you complaint. You will be suprized by receiving coupons for free packages and sometimes actual packages. You are the consumer and they don't want to lose a customer. alwaysthemom@yahoo.com

Carrie said...

Oh I've seen the number on the package. I just have to actually remember and then take the time to call them.
I am well aware that they will send refund your money or send you a coupon for a new product or whatnot.
That's the thing with actually calling... will they just send me a coupon? Because I'd rather just have my money back.
But to do that, I'd need to go in to customer service. Maybe they'd send me my $3 though. Who knows.

My thought process is that I do want to complain, but I feel like my time/effort may be worth more than the $3.