Yesterday I told Alex that we needed to go to sleep so that we could rest our bodies.
His reply: "I don't have a body".
Right.
Today I had to run outside for a minute to let a friend use our fertilizer spreader. When I came back in Alex was at the bottom of the stairs sniffling and said, "Mama, I miss you".
Awww! That about melted my heart!
Other not as funny stuff... Alex has taken it upon himself to be a picky eater. And we were totally playing into it with bribes and what not, so now we're trying the eat whatever you want at dinner route. But if you don't eat a good part of your dinner, then you don't get any other food at night.
It's still a struggle and it really drives me crazy.
He's also become very insistent on continuing to play or whatnot when we ask him to come and eat. Okay... he's just insistent on doing what he wants all the time and not listening to what we ask him to do. I totally sound like my mom and dad counting to 3 to get us to do something. This usually works for Alex, but sometimes, like tonight, it doesn't.
He cried pretty much all through dinner because he wanted to be outside running.
It was a bit wearing.
But I do have to admit, it was pretty funny that he would only take bites of his food when we weren't looking. The little stinker.
If any of you have heard of the 6 month terribleness, I think we're getting to that point. The theory is that the closer a child gets to 6 months after his birthday, the crappier their behavior is. Alex's 6 month half way point is April 19th. I'm hoping that it will get better. Or at the very least the screaming of NO and the crying whenever he doesn't want to do something will stop.
But until then, I'll be reading all sorts of parenting articles and trying to figure out how to fix the problem and what I can do to improve my parenting. Sounds fun huh?
My mom is probably reading this going, oh yes... this is where the fun starts. I am SO glad I don't have to do that anymore!
Saturday, March 21, 2009
No Body and Miss You
Posted by Carrie at 10:16 PM

1 Comment:
Such a fun age!
We dealt with the picky eater problem with Ethan. Our solution is to not cater to it at dinner. We put at least three different things on his plate (main dish, veggie, and bread usually) and he can eat what he likes and leave the others. But if he wants dessert, he has to take at least three bites of each thing.
He eats better than he used to because he's learned that we won't bend and give him something else. So if he doesn't eat, he goes hungry!
Breakfast and lunch options are just so easy that I typically let him choose. But once he's chosen, that's what he gets. And if he doesn't finish, I cut back on snacks between meals. Again so that he feels hungry because he didn't eat what he should have.
Post a Comment