Sorry Mom, another year without us in your annual headstone pictures. Hey, at least we got Jon in them 1 of the 3 years.
It's so different not to be spending Memorial Day with our families. In my family, we would always go up to the cabin in Bear Lake, ride 4-wheelers, and then go to see the many graves of our loved ones. And of course, always taking the time to visit Great Grandma as well.
Who would have thought that I would miss doing that with my family? I remember whining about going when I was a teenager. And now, even though we poke fun, I even miss the headstone pictures where you don't know if you should be smiling or not.
Today I sat around some more, drugged up and sucking on lozenges. Jon finished up our patio. And we went to Chick-fil-et to use our free milkshake coupons and then went to get a big new umbrella for our table that is not sitting on our patio instead of out in the grass. It was a good day and we enjoyed spending time together, but it just wasn't the same not being able to stop by the places where the people we love are buried.
We do miss those that we no longer have and I was able to give them some thought today about how meaningful each person that we have lost meant. It was nice to take a moment to actually think about them and their life and realize how much they really did mean to me and to so many others. How great is it that we have a whole day set aside nationally for people to stop a think about those people that have died. I think it's awesome that our country has and honors such a sacred day. And maybe it's used more for sales and shopping, but I know for me, the highlight was being able to be home with my family.
Monday, May 26, 2008
Memorial Day when you don't have graves to see
Posted by Carrie at 10:37 PM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment