As I was perusing the internets this fine evening (thanks for another late night, dear!) I happened across a post on the Bloggernacle talking about Israel.
For some reason this reminded me of what the word 'israel' means in its native Hebrew. (Sidenote: I wish I could read Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, Latin and a whole host of near-eastern languages. Portuguese and Spanish will have to suffice for the present.)
'Israel' in Hebrew roughly means 'one who struggles with God' or 'wrestled with God.'
What does it mean for someone to wrestle or struggle with God? How often should we wrestle with Him? What are outcomes of such an action?
I don't profess to have all the answers but improving my relationship with God is something I've been pondering recently. I've also been thinking about how one goes about teaching children and my Primary kids about attaining a greater faith in God.
Seeing how the first principle of righteous action in men is faith in Deity, what are ways to help others build faith? I'm sure these are things that most religious leaders think about on regular occasions. Its also something I thought about for a couple years. It hasn't been until recently that I've had this desire rekindle inside me; not only how to increase one's faith but also how to help others do so.
Enos wrestled with God through mighty prayer. Jacob wrestled with an angel. Moses wrestled an entire nation from the hands of Egypt. Brother Brigham (I love that name) wrestled with mobs in Nauvoo and later struggled across 1500 miles of wilderness. Others struggle with different challenges.
Health, money, shelter, food, clothing, addiction, depression.
I don't myself struggling with much at the moment. Is that the reason I find myself not wrestling with God? Probably. The times in my life where its been the hardest are the times I turn to the Lord. The scriptures frequently talk about how slow men are to turn to the Lord except in their times of need. Why do we wait for extraordinary situations to call on the help of God?
I believe that developing a deep, personal relationship with God is a fundamental aspect to this life. Doctrines, practices, beliefs, dogmas, etc. are far secondary to building this relationship. Comprehending His will for us by doing unto others as we would have done unto us comes by understanding who He is. By loving God we come to understand why is it so important to love and serve our neighbor. It is through us that He accomplishes His work.
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."
-Mother Teresa
Thanks for letting me share some thoughts with all y'all (thank you, Texas.)
Have a marvelous and safe Memorial Day weekend!
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Israel
Posted by Jon at 11:37 PM

0 Comments:
Post a Comment