Wednesday, June 24, 2009

TBD: gender of this baby!

Or maybe not to be determined. I guess that depends on if I want to pay $60 to go somewhere and have ANOTHER ultrasound.
It would have been great to have gotten pictures of proof at that first one, but no. *sigh*

Obviously, today's (okay... yesterday's... It's 2 am and I'm still awake) didn't go as well as planned.

We went to a HUGE radiology place where they do all sorts of radiology/sonography for everything and it was all very business like. The tech got the measurements... they didn't have double screens and I was layed so far back that I couldn't even look over and see the screen... and then after that she turned the screen toward me and I got to see the baby for about 3 minutes.

After that she announced that was it and we were done. Wanting to know the gender I asked her, did you see what the gender was?

Her reply: Well the legs were up there, but I didn't get an actual good look at anything, so I really couldn't say either way.

...long pause... (like really, she wasn't going to say either way)

I piped in with what the tech at the 15 week ultrasound said about being pretty sure it was a girl.

She replies with something along the lines of, "I'd probably go that way if I were leaning one way, but I like to actually see the labia to for sure say it's a girl and I didn't really get a good look there".

GREAT.
2 ultrasounds and no definite gender. That's awesome.


I was a little bit bugged. The tech was nice and all, but it just didn't seem like she put any extra effort beyond getting the needed measurements to figure out the gender. We didn't even get any pictures. It was just a totally different experience than the ultrasounds I had with Alex in my OBs office last time. It was very medical, hospital like, and routine. I wasn't a fan.
So boo to Austin Radiological Association.

5 Comments:

Kate said...

I can't believe she only looked at the baby for 3 minutes! I think all 3 of my ultrasounds were at least 20-30 minutes. I definitely would want to know if I were you. $60 bucks sounds a like a good deal to me to find out.

Crystal said...

Yes a big boo to that clinic. Sorry it's been hard for you too see. It is most likely a girl, all my boys have been pretty "obvious". But you never know!

Anonymous said...

oh carrie, are you going through the birthing center? is this why? i hope it doesnt ruin your experiences.

Carrie said...

I am going through the birthing center and still LOVE that I'm going that route, so no... it won't ruin my experience. The actual birth is much more important than the ultrasound.
I was actually meaning to ask you about how your billing worked out because I'm sick of paying $125/month to the office if I know the insurance will cover more than that. I'll send you an email.

Erin said...

Sorry. I went to a place called pediatrix/obstetrix here and they did it for about 30 minutes and was on a big tv and she told me what it all was. She also asked me up front if I wanted to know gender. I can relate to your experience a little bit, that's how it was in AZ when I had Adam. Small computer screen I had to try to look at and the lady wasn't friendly at all, all business. At least she got the gender--that was also the place that made me drink a bunch of stuff. At the place here I didn't have to, only if it was for other reasons.