Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

I'm not so sure if it was Jon's ideal way to spend his Labor Day, but I had a great Labor Day.

Today I dragged Jon to several furniture stores trying to see if we could find a queen sized bed (headboard etc.) at a decent price. He was such a good sport and we had a great time walking around with Alex. He wanted to sit on every chair/couch/ottoman we walked by. He thought it was very cool that there was a store full of couches and beds. They had a little kid sized table and chair set at one of the stores that he thought was awesome! I guess the Ikea table and chair set we're planning on getting him for Christmas will be a winner.

I also dragged Jon to Joann's. He has been scarred in the area of fabric stores from many long trips with his mom when he was a kid and really hates going. I like to have him come to entertain Alex though. For this trip he had to come so that he could assist in picking some fabric for curtains for our room. He's usually pretty opinionated and I actually really like having his input. We found a great fabric and now I just have to sew a rod pocket and hem the sides and bottom. Good thing I recently discovered my rolled hem foot! And thank goodness that I only have to make 2! Oh and then a valance for my bathroom. And of course the 2 valances I have left for my kitchen. Good thing I got my crafty room done and am on a crafty high. I have a lot of projects!

We also scored some clearance decorative rods at Joann's ($10!).

When we got home, I made the wall hangings for my crafty room. I got the idea for these from my friend Erin. They were really easy to make and I love how they look. I have to say that I am now addicted to mod podge. I have a bunch of scrapbook paper (it was on sale 6 for $.96 at Joann's!) that I am planning on mod podging to the back of my cheapy bookcases just so that they look cute.


We finished off our evening with a barbeque at the house of some ward friends. We had good food, a good time with the many balls, played Wii and Alex got tackled/knocked over by their dog. The night definitely ended with a bang!

Alex was already a little nervous about the dog. He wanted to be held when the dog was around and would pull his legs up and get all tense if the dog got close.

Jon and Alex were racing outside and the dog came out to play. He's still a puppy and doesn't understand the he can't jump on little people and when he saw Alex running with Jon he got excited and ran right into Alex and knocked him flat on his face. This of course, terrified Alex and he had a good long scream/cry.

We wanted to show him that the dog was okay and that he was just playing so we hung out and looked at and petted the dog for a little while. We probably won't be talking about the dog jumping on him for a good long time since when Jon mentioned it in the car on the way home, Alex started crying again. We'll just try to reinforce that the dog is a nice and funny dog and he wanted to run and play with Alex. It will be a good story to tell down the road.


And since I've slacked on posting pictures for a good while, here are some pictures of my crafty room w/wall hangings -I'll have to take some in the daylight later.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 Comment:

Liz said...

Wow, I'm impressed with all that you did yesterday! Very productive day.

I have to tell you, Anna has been walking around the last 2 days talking about Alex again. :) It's been what, almost a month since we were there, and she still just randomly mentions Alex's name when she's playing. Pretty funny!