Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Almost done!

After many hours of working today, the rag quilt that was started HERE, is ALMOST done!!! All of my blocks are sewn together. I could technically leave it as is, but I want to do a border with some freehand stitching down the sides. I think it will make it look more finished than the standard rag quilt.

This next part is for anyone that wants to give advice and lend their expertise on quilt finishing.

And then the question of finishing the outside edge comes to mind. And deciding if the back is soft enough (it's a cotton/linen), since this is baby/toddler sized, or if I should put some minky or flannel on the back. And if I decide to put minky or flannel on the back, how am I going to attach it to the already made quilt top?
Tying would look weird and I don't think free hand quilting would work. Well... I suppose it could, I'm just not sure I trust myself to do a whole quilt with a free motion quilting. Especially on a standard (not long arm) machine. It does work in my favor that this is just a small sized blanket.

I do worry about making the quilt heavier than it already is by adding a layer and batting or 2 layers of minky/flannel.

And the edge of the border... I do want a clean edge and not just a frayed edge, so that leaves me with a few different options (that I know of). If I do a backing it should be easy to wrap around and just topstitch (I know... it doesn't look as nice, but whatever) it to the front.
But what should I do if I don't do a backing? Should I do a cording? And if I do cording, should I do the seam on the outside so that it frays?
I suppose I could just stich the right sides together, turn it, and then topstitch.

Hmm... lots of options here. Someone please give me their guidance so I can get this thing finished!!!

1 Comment:

whitney said...

What, no finished pics?

Sorry, I'm no help at all, but it looks cute from your earlier pics.