One of the items on the list to take to the birthing center is 6 receiving blankets.
I don't really believe in buying those little flannel receiving blankets that you use for a couple of weeks when they are really small. I got some for Alex and rarely used them, so I refused to buy more just to have some girly ones.
I did happen to buy some adorable flannel online a few months ago that I had forgotten about until I saw it sitting on the shelf in my craft room when I was bored and deciding what baby project I wanted to work on (I have a lot!).
My awesome mom found me a sweet tutorial for making a self binding receiving blanket. It was a little confusing to figure out. Once I did it though, the technique isn't really that hard and I'm sure I could make another one MUCH faster.
Here is my end result:
I am in LOVE with it!
And I'm really happy that we'll have a girly blanket for her!
Oh and when I had it laid out to take pictures of it, Alex said, "I want he (he doesn't really get the he/she thing yet) to come out your belly and snuggle with that blankie."
It was very cute.




6 Comments:
OH MY GOSH! Now I need to make Macey a blanket like that. I bought that exact same fabric. :) I made one like that for Collin, but used my own pattern... it actually wasn't hard at all but I'm sure it's nothing like yours! I love the stitch... how in the H did you do that?!
DaNae- the tutorial I used is on the board. The stitch is just a decorative stitch on my machine. If your machine doesn't have decorative stitching, I'm sure someone you know has a machine that has some. :)
SUPER cute! I love the stitch, too!
ps This is why I love huge receiving blankets...the DUDU wrap, AKA the anti-Houdini swaddle...
http://www.happiestbaby.com/wp-content/uploads/files/DUDUflyer.pdf
how come you have to bring 6 receiving blankets? Do they use them to swaddle and clean off the baby when they are fresh out of the belly? You know, when you have pictures right after the birth. Do you use them there and then take them home dirty? Do you wrap her up in 6 blankies to bring her home? By the way, the ones you made are darling!
Tawna... I'm guessing that's what they use, but I'm not sure... I have blankets from the hospital with Alex anyway, so I'm not concerned about them getting ruined.
And I'm pretty sure they would clean the blankets before sending them home with us. :)
LOL... I'll definitely be wrapping her up in all 6 to bring her home!
My friend who had her baby there 8 weeks ago said she doesn't even remember what they used to clean her baby with.
and 6 may be on overestimate... I may only need 2-4.
I am in love with that blanket!
Post a Comment