Friday, January 20, 2012

If only I could snap my fingers...

...and have my time consuming projects done! I don't mind the little things, but I get impatient for the big stuff.

My room makeover is getting closer to coming together and I can hardly stand the wait!

Last Saturday my dad came over and we discussed and planned making my new bed. Super excited about that!

I happened to hit up HomeGoods the other night and found THE perfect coral pillow for my bed. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find coral colored stuff? Especially pillows? Well I found one. It's fluffy and flowery and wonderful.
Kaitlyn saw it sitting in the pile of pillows the other day after her nap and insisted that it come up on the bed with her while she watched Nemo. She is such a girl.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
My fun pillow pile (phone photo)


On Monday my mom was over helping me organize clothes (more on that later perhaps) and we laid out my duvet cover and pillows to figure out if I needed to take any pillows back. After seeing it all laid out I am SO excited to get it all put together!

Here is my list of things left to do for my bedroom. I have most of the small stuff and just need to do the big things.

  • build and finish my bed
  • paint the bedroom
  • find a duvet that is fluffy enough for me (totally hitting up macy's etc. tonight after dinner)
  • possibly paint my dresser. Or just get a white one. 
  • do a room switcheroo. Moving closet contents will be a project for sure!
  • find (or make) some curtains
  • build a new nightstand (because it's easier to build everything at once)
AND I want do have it all done by the end of April. You know... that whole nesting thing. And the fact that it will be much easier to do all of these things when I am not engrossed in those lovely newborn days full of sleeping and eating (for all parties).

Also on my project "short list" (aka want to have it done in the next 6 months) is doing the nursery.
I know newborns don't need a nursery, but I want to work on the room either before the babe is here (to avoid the crazy) or in the few months after when the room doesn't really need to be used as baby will be in our room. Point is, I want it to be done and ready for when we are ready to kick the baby out of our room.

The thought of getting a nursery ready doesn't seem all that big of a deal, but this room... it's a big deal. This "little" project involves board and batten and paint and painting the crib white (I told my sister that we're pretty much going to turn that room into a spray booth, so if there was anything she wanted painted white...{I could totally paint my dresser white!}... bring it on over!) on top of all the little touches. Painting involves either taping off or removing the carpet and at least partially taking down the fan (undecided on if we should replace it or paint it) along with taking everything out of the closet and spraying in there.

AND since Alex and Kait will be sharing a room, I want to get their room done as well. This one is admittedly not a huge priority, but it would sure be nice to have all of my bedrooms done and happy. Then I'd only have the front room to finish up!


Decorating and getting your house to where you want it is such a process!
Currently, my kitchen is the only room that I've put any effort into decorating. We have been here for 1.5 years and I have hung all of eleven (eight of which are plates in my kitchen) things on my walls. Wait, I also randomly hung an iron thing in the bathroom on a nail that was already there because it mostly worked. So twelve things technically.
Decorating this house isn't as easy to decorate as my last house and I think my style is a little bit different. I also bought specific things for our house in TX that I'm just not sure where to put here. Moving is kind of a pain in the butt.

I don't know if my style has changed or if I have just become more picky about what I bring into my house. If I don't love it, I don't want it. I figure it's good common sense. If I don't love something I'll be constantly looking at it and wishing for something I like better. It's better to just save my money and get what I love.

Unfortunately, this also means that I don't like this or that about major pieces and don't want to buy something just because it's close or it will "work". I have to do a lot of searching, and often times in the end decide that the only way to go is to build some pieces (like my bed). The obvious con to this is the time factor. I can't just bring something home and be done. BUT I do get to save money and I get something that I love, which are both wonderful things.

We shall see how the next six months go project wise around here.
Not like we'll be busy with putting in a yard/fence and a newborn on top of being emotional (have I mentioned I'm due 10 days after Isaac and Evan's Angel day? And that Mother's Day and Memorial Day quickly follow that day?) or anything.
Either we have to get the projects done so we can be a little less crazy at a crazy time or we use the projects as yet another distraction.

Either way, I hope that my house will come together a little more in the next 6 months. Even the very slow progress has me quite excited for what's to come!

0 Comments: