Thursday, December 22, 2011

May 8th.

20 weeks. 2 days. Bittersweet.


Baby #5



Bittersweet is a word that I have used more in the last 8 months than I have ever used in my life. Admittedly, I feel mostly the bitter. The sweet is there, it's just harder to feel.

This pregnancy has brought with it a lot of emotion. While I am thankful that I am having a baby, I still feel so much hurt.  I feel angry that I even have to be pregnant since I should have been done and holding 2 boys by now. I'm upset with the timing and that my perfect planning was ruined. I'm resentful that I don't get to have twins. I'm furious that the one pregnancy that can never be replicated is the one pregnancy that I had a random complication in.

So far, I take it one day at a time. I wish I were more excited, but I'm just not emotionally there. My life is changed. Nothing is as lighthearted and fun as it used to be because I can't stop thinking about how my life would have been without this dark pain that has tainted me forever.
I still miss my boys and the rare opportunity of having twins that was lost every day. That hole in my heart is still gaping with no sign of it getting smaller. Learning to live with that ever present ache while trying to get used to the idea of a single baby is hard and I suspect it will be for some time. I know I will love this baby and he or she will fill a hole meant for them, but this baby doesn't come without the stipulation that it would not be here if Isaac and Evan were. Admittedly, I would take them (and not having the pain of loss in my life) over this baby every day if I could.

Baby #5

5 Comments:

The Staheli's said...

It's interesting to read this post and not feel a little bit of the "bitter" myself. I hope you can see the gift you've been given with this precious baby and take every moment to enjoy it. Just like you felt with every twin pregnancy that worked out and ended with two healthy babies...here I am wishing I had your one. ♥

Carrie said...

I definitly understand wanting something more than anything that you can't have and the bitterness that comes with not having any hope of having it. <3 to you too jess.

The Staheli's said...

Thanks Carrie. :) Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Sherry said...

I'm sorry. :( I'm sure as May 8 gets closer you will feel more of the sweet. This baby will fill a spot in your family, but Isaac and Evan's spots will still be empty, and that's hard. One day you'll all be together again, and it will be awesome. But the meanwhile part sucks.

Lyns said...

Oh Care! You know I love you more than my luggage...

I totally get that the whole bitter thing...You aren't bitter towards the baby...you don't resent the baby..you just are angry about the situation...and that's ok. You suffered a major loss that will NEVER be replaced...You love this baby..you know it and anyone who really knows you knows that...Every day will get easier. And then you will fall again...and start again...But I KNOW you love this baby...you are just mourning what could have been...

And just FTR--if you feel you know Carrie well enough to say what you said...own who you are. Not cool hiding behind anonymous