I won't lie. I've been avoiding my blog. I didn't want to come here and see (and have to remove) the pregnancy ticker with two babies in it that I just added days before the unimaginable.
Today sucked. A lot. Last Thursday sucked about a hundred times more than today. Every day in between sucked.
All of my quiet moments are filled with tears and grief. I climb in bed every night and sob until there are no more tears left. When I'm not physically crying, my spirit is. My heart hurts so much.
I was supposed to be relishing in my last pregnancy (yay! no more weeks and weeks of feeling sick!). It was certainly exciting and different than any of my others. I was supposed to be worried about my babies being monitored closely, seeing my Dr. (and my babies on ultrasound) often, getting as close to full term as possible, and whether I'd be able to deliver both boys naturally or if I'd get to experience a c-section this time around.
And here I am. All of my plans shredded up into a million little pieces and then thrown around, stomped on, and burned.
I am not pregnant. I have no twins to look forward to. I just am.
I feel like I was thrown into the dashboard with unimaginable force and then the car was thrown into a speeding reverse to the opposite end of a road where I am forced to sit and idle while in immense pain and still see the road I was on with the bright happy destination shortly ahead. I want to be on that road again, but there is no way to get there. I can only look at it and long for it.
I've wished for things to just go back to how there were thousands of times already. I want to go back and find some way to fix it. I want to go back and take back the twin pregnancy so I could "save it for next time" when it would be more likely to give me my happy ending. How dumb is that? That I'm willing to sacrifice a single baby for the sake of having my boys?
I feel like there is nothing that can be done to fill the giant hole in my heart that losing twins has left me with.
It's like I lost a precious family heirloom or lost all of my family photos, mementos and belongings in a fire. A twin pregnancy is irreplaceable. {note, I'm not saying that a lost pregnancy is replaceable}. I may never again have the chance to have twins and it breaks my heart beyond repair. My chance is gone. That was it and it was ripped away from me.
Now what? How is life supposed to go on? Who am I now? How do I find joy in the every day things again?
I am terrified of next week. How do I do the dishes/change diapers/do laundry/make lunch and dinner/go anywhere/do anything without thinking, "I should be pregnant and doing a/b/c/d/e...".
I am terrified of August-September when I should have been having my babies and bringing them home.
I'm afraid of Christmas and remembering last week when I told my mom that I was going to have to find a matching pair of christmas jammies so that the boys could match, but now knowing that there may never be a baby that will fit into them.
Everything about every day of the future scares me. I just don't know how to do it anymore. Everything is changed.
This is my life now. I'm thankful for the many wonderful things I do have, but that doesn't make the situation any less crappy. I can only hope that with time (lots and lots of it) my heart will at least stop bleeding and that I can make it through a day without crying. For now, I'll keep up with my current daily trend and cry the tears until there are no more to cry - until the next moment comes along.
I'll be back soon to post some pictures and talk about my beautiful babies, but for now I just need to grieve and rant about how unfair the whole thing is. Life right now just sucks.
Thursday, May 5, 2011
Endless Tears
Posted by Carrie at 11:40 PM

6 Comments:
We cry with you, Carrie. Thank you for this. You did a good job expressing how you feel, and nobody would ever marginalize that. You are justified in everything you feel, it's all part of the stages of grief that you must go through. Who are we to rob you of your sincere love? You are surrounded by family and friends who love you, who want to understand what you are going through, and who would willingly share your feelings to support and help you.
Love love LOVE you, dear one. You're beginning to heal already, just by being able to say that. I'm so impressed with your bravery. I'm thinking of you every day. Wishing I could do more, but I AM praying for you. I hope you can feel it.
I will not pretend to understand how this must feel. All I know is that it's okay to feel this way, that pain and faith are not mutually exclusive.
A few months ago, I was talking with one of my professors about the pain of infertility (something she struggled with for 12 years) after my body pretended to be pregnant over Christmas break. Something she said to me then has helped me since as I deal with feelings of hopelessness and despair at the thought of maybe never becoming a mother. She said that there is a part of her that will never, and can never, be comforted (at least in this life), and that that's okay. There will always be days that suck, and you ever have to pretend that they don't. There will be moments of sweet clarity, moments when you feel nothing but love and gratitude for all of your children, but there will also be days of tears and longing.
And that's okay. Know that so many people are praying for you and your family.
Bless you Carrie. What an amazing girl you are, to already love two people so much. I know no words can soothe your grief, but those two perfect babies have an amazing mother who will love them forever.
Carrie I don't have the perfect words to calm your troubled heart; and I don't know the perfect way to comfort your aching soul, but your babies do and they will comfort you and you will feel their love for you. You are their mommy forever and ever. Love you lots!
Carrie, you're a wonderful writer. You put everything into perspective for those of us who've never been in place like yours. I've been crying a lot for you. Please know i am here for you to rant or vent. You can call me anytime (i'll give u my #).
Post a Comment