Umm... see those scars and HOLES in people to remove their melanoma?
I have to have a pretty extensive removal on my EYELID. Yes, it is *only* precancerous, but they still have to remove ANY and ALL precancerous cells there. Tell me you wouldn't be freaked out or at least a little concerned if it were you.
All I can say is that that ocular plastic surgeon better be DAMN good at what he does or else I may end up crying. A lot.
And just so you don't think I'm all cynical/negative and vain, of course I will be so thankful not to have melanoma and all that comes with it and thankful to be alive so I shouldn't care about how I look in the end.
BUT a person's face, and definitely their eyes (especially mine where they are often the first thing people notice about me), are something so defining and distinguishing that it would be tragic to a person to have their appearance drastically altered or effected by a major scar. Many plastic surgeons are very careful with facial surgery because it is so much a part of how someone sees and defines their self.
Sigh.
Three (or more) months until I get to go down that fun road. Watching this video definitely did NOT help my nerves, though I do agree completely that we (and especially my family members as we DO have a family history of skin cancer} need to be aware of our skin and keep an eye on it.
Thus the share.
So freak out over my eyelid removal and reconstruction with me and be concerned for yourself at the same time. I don't wish the freaking out over their own diagnosis and removal on anyone. No one wants to think about the extensive removal of cells and tissue that has to be done to eradicate melanoma and even precancerous cells and the scars it will leave them with.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment