I've been living with a sick feeling in my stomach the past 2 days. I have done a lot of praying and figuring out how I really feel.
Loving our neighbor.
Who are our neighbors? Family, friends, acquaintances, church members, the checker at the grocery store, and that long bearded guy I see every time I'm on Parmer and Mopac holding up his funny signs (although some are a little brash, but funny none the less).
Do I always do well at loving them? Probably not. But do I try? I like to think so. After all, I don't spit at the man on the overpass or glare at my grocery checker when they are slow.
Recently the issue of illegal immigrants has come into my life in a very real way that had me considering and reconsidering many gospel principles. I think this is a struggle for many people in the church.
We're taught to obey the laws of the land. We're asked if we do so in worthiness interviews. When I am asked this question I always feel like I am doing so. But never mind that I drove 5 mph over the speed limit to get to my interview. Or that I file my taxes the improper way in order to pay less. Or that maybe I am an illegal immigrant and got baptized and went to the temple.
So what is okay? Obviously, all of these things and more happen within the LDS church. And I dare say, much worse with people still feeling like they are okay. By all means, I should have every reason to dislike people who disobey the law of the land and continue living their life as a good member of the church. I feel so strongly about the gospel and following it's principles that it just doesn't seem right or fair that people can disobey and be okay with themselves as they lie and skirt around the "do you obey the laws of the land" part of becoming a member or getting a recommend!
But then a thought, a feeling, enters my heart and I wonder, is it really up to me to decide? Is it worth being upset about? Is it worth ending or not even having a relationship/friendship with someone?
Suddenly my heart is full of love. My head is pounding with such cliches as "love the person, hate the sin." and "Christ's law is the higher law". And then scriptures like, "I will forgive who I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men until seventy times seven." .
I feel surrounded by the love of Christ when I let go of all of my hateful feelings. It is only then that I feel peace. When I can look at the Hispanic person being baptized and not care if they are obeying the laws of our land or not, is when I recognize most that this church and the gospel principles are really true. I am happy that another person has found the gospel. It is truly the greatest things someone can possess and I wouldn't want to withhold those blessings from anyone.
As important as obeying the laws of the land is (and something that I personally try my best to do), it is not a gospel principle.
It can really be broken down into the most simple things. Believing that Jesus Christ is our Savior and died for us is. Having love and compassion and forgiving all people as Jesus did. Trying every day to do good enough to make it back to heaven with the ones I love. To me, those things are what this church is all about. These fundamental gospel principles are the reasons that I am a member of this church. They are what the true gospel of Jesus Christ is built on.
I have more of a testimony of truly loving EVERY one of my neighbors, no matter what, more now than I ever did before. And I have a testimony of the love that Jesus Christ has for each and every one of his children, no matter what they are doing or have done.
As should be everyone's goal, becoming Christlike, I think, will be my eternal one.
Speaking of which, I'm off to work on that forgiveness part...
Sunday, January 27, 2008
a deep post already?
Posted by Carrie at 10:53 PM

3 Comments:
:) Wow Carrie that was a long first blog :)
I just wanted to say, it reminded me of one time on my mission - we were baptizing a lady who was from Colombia, and she was in Ecuador illegally - running from an abusive boyfriend. I was worried about the same thing, could she be baptized without obeying a law of the land? And my mission president said Absolutely. I think individual circumstances make the difference. Say they're here because at home they can't make enough money to support their family - it's hard to call that a sin.
amen to that. we know so little about anyone else's life and experience, how can we presume to know what is right or wrong for them? all we can do is love them and hope for the best.
ps-
i like your blog heading. :)
What an AMAZING post! You are awesome! I hope you know that! I also LOVE your heading! I wish I could do something fun like that on my blog!
Post a Comment